Dr. Marcia Byrd, M.D. at Byrd Aesthetic & Anti-Aging Center in Atlanta, GA understands that every patient has a unique biological and chemical makeup, and therefore, cannot be treated with a ‘one size fits all’ weight loss program. To set realistic goals, Dr. Byrd will conduct an in-depth assessment and examination of your current medical history, dietary needs, and will order the appropriate laboratory tests necessary to evaluate your current baseline hormone levels.
HCG (Human Chorionic Gonadotropin) is a hormone produced in pregnancy that stimulates production of progesterone allowing the uterus to sustain a growing fetus. The HCG hormone protects and nourishes the fetus by delivering caloric nutrition to the placenta by obtaining nutrition from the mother. During pregnancy, if the mother does not eat enough to nourish the fetus, the HCG will provide adequate nourishment by obtaining calories from the mother’s fat reserves and feed the baby while sparing lean muscle.
The hypothalamus (shown above) is an area of the brain that controls the complex operation of storing and issuing fuel to the body. The amount of sugar in the blood stream depends on a certain nervous center in the hypothalamus. The HCG is believed to cause the hypothalamus gland in the brain (which regulates the thyroid, metabolic rate, adrenal glands and storage of fat) to target and mobilize stored nutrients within the fat cells by shrinking and draining the fat cell’s contents. The liquefied nutrients are then released into the bloodstream for the body to utilize as a source of natural energy. It is believed that up to 2,000 calories may be delivered in a single day, thus decreasing hunger, increasing energy and metabolism.
Benefits of HCG for Weight Loss
- Fat burning
- Spares lean muscle
- Protects the structural fat
- Targets abnormal fat and problem areas on the stomach, buttocks, thighs, arms and chest
- Redistributes fat
- Decreases cravings for sweets
- Decreases appetite
- Increases libido in men and women
- Maintains weight loss despite returning to regular calorie intake
- Ends rollercoaster dieting frustration
- Ideal for women in menopause with declining or imbalanced hormone levels
- Increases metabolism by raising hormone levels on a small scale
About the HCG Weight Loss Program
Over 50 years ago, Dr. A.T.W. Simeons, M.D. began treating obese men and non-pregnant women with small daily doses of HCG while placing them on a diet of only 500 calories daily for 6 weeks.
The results showed that these patients lost an average of about one pound per day. HCG assisted in removing stored fat while sparing lean muscle mass by forcing the body to rid fat through the body’s own natural elimination process. The HCG targeted the abnormal fat and not the normal or structural fat. Their skin remained fresh and turgid and, gradually, their figures became more normal. Inches were lost around the belly, hips and thighs. The patients lacked the symptoms one would expect from a patient on a very low calorie diet. For example, they had no headaches, hunger pains, cravings, weakness, or irritability as long as the low calorie diet was combined with HCG. In his study, the daily administration of HCG had no side-effects other than beneficial. Since then, tens of thousands of people have used a version of this HCG diet to achieve fast, safe and sustainable weight loss.
Today, the HCG weight loss program consists of four steps:
- Daily injection of HCG for 21 to 40 days
- Follow specific food guide with 500 to 700 calorie maximum daily intake
- Exercise by walking 30 minutes a day
- Pharmaceutical nutrition and supplement regimen
Many patient what to know if they could lose the same amount of weight without taking HCG and the answer is yes; however, very low calorie diets without the use of HCG cause the following:
- Loss of precious lean muscle mass
- Decreased metabolism from muscle loss
- Increased hunger
- Increased irritability
- Increased fatigue
- Lack of energy
FDA Approved Uses
- HCG therapy is used to treat infertility by stimulating ovulation and allowing for the final maturation of eggs.
- It is extracted from the urine in pregnant women, tested in a lab for potency and a sterilization assay is performed.
- Indicator test for pregnancy
- After 6 weeks of dieting women lose about 20 to 35 pounds in 40 days which is equivalent to ½ to ¾ pounds per day. Women of child-bearing age tend to lose more weight due to higher metabolic and hormonal levels than post-menopausal women. Surgical hysterectomy and post-menopausal patients lose an average of 25 pounds.
- HCG is used for the medical treatment of hypogonadism (very low testosterone) by stimulating the testes to produce more testosterone. It naturally raises testosterone levels in men.
- After 6 weeks of dieting men lose an average of 30-45 pounds in 40 days which is about 1 pound a day. Men have a higher metabolic rate than women and increased testosterone production raises metabolic rate.
Mechanism of Weight Loss in Both Men and Women are the Same:
- Elevated hormone levels results in an increase in metabolism
- Targets abnormal fat reserves when on a very low calorie diet
- Spares lean muscle
In many medical treatment areas, including the use of HCG for weight loss, you will often hear the term “off-label.” When the FDA approves a substance for medical purpose, it is for a very specific use. That FDA-specific use is printed on the label. But the FDA also allows physicians to use their own judgment for newly discovered uses that were not originally included in the FDA-approval specification. This is the nature of HCG use in weight loss. The FDA does require the following to be posted:
FDA Disclaimer: “HCG has not been demonstrated to be an effective adjunctive therapy in the treatment of obesity. There is no substantial evidence that it increases weight loss beyond that resulting from caloric restriction, that it causes a more attractive or “normal” distribution of fat, or that it decreases the hunger and discomfort associated with calorie-restricted diets.”
- Today, 65% of Americans (over 160 million people) are overweight or obese and the numbers continue to increase.
- The average American diet consists of white flour, white sugar and high fat
- Most people eat less than 3 meals a day
- Most weight loss programs and diets fail
Why Do Most Diets Fail?
- With weight loss and fat loss there is a loss of lean muscle
- The lean muscle loss will slow metabolism
- A slow metabolism will result in gaining weight back and more
- The more you diet, the more difficult it is to lose weight
Types of Fat
- Structural fat fills the gaps between organs, a sort of packing material. It performs such important functions as bedding the kidneys in soft elastic tissue, protecting the coronary arteries and keeping the skin smooth and taut. It also provides the springy cushion of hard fat under the bones of the feet, without which we would be unable to walk.
- Normal fat is the normal reserve of fuel which the body can freely draw upon when the nutritional income from the intestinal tract is insufficient to meet the demand of the body. Normal fat packs the highest caloric value into the smallest space for muscular activity and the maintenance of body temperature. These reserves are located all over the body.
- Abnormal fat is the reason people are obese. It is also a potential reserve of fuel but, unlike the normal reserves, it is not available to the body in a nutritional emergency. It is entirely abnormal and the fat that is least likely to respond to typical diets.
- When overweight people try to reduce by starving themselves they will first lose normal fat reserves.
- When normal fat is exhausted, they begin to burn up structural fat
- Lastly, abnormal fat reserves will eventually begin to burn
The obese person usually feels so weak and hungry that the diet is abandoned. They will complain that they feel famished and tired and their face becomes drawn and haggard, but their belly, hips, thighs and upper arms show little improvement. The fat they have come to detest stays on and the fat that they need to cover their bones and pad their organs gets less and less. Their skin wrinkles and they look old and miserable. This is one of the most frustrating and depressing experiences a human being can have.