Every man and woman wants sleek, beautiful, toned arms but the arm area can be very troublesome and extremely hard to target with simple diet and exercise. Larger arms may cause us to change the clothes we wear or feel the need to cover them up because of consciousness or embarrassment.
Liposuction can permanently remove excess fat in the upper arm area to provide a more youthful look. Brachioplasty (Arm Lift) is another treatment option to remove loose or excess skin on the arms. This will result in tighter, firmer arms so you can wave hello with confidence.
Dr. Marcia Byrd, M.D., and Dr. Paul McCluskey, M.D. at Byrd Aesthetic & Anti-Aging Center in Atlanta, GA have performed thousands of liposuction procedures. So many people would like to have a smooth and sculpted body and do not believe it’s possible. We can make it happen!
To view before and after Arm Liposuction photographs click here.
Candidates for Liposuction
- Have specific fat pockets that are resistant to diet and exercise
- Do not have frequent fluctuations in weight
- Desire reshaping and not weight loss
- Are psychologically stable
- Do not smoke
- Are well informed about the procedure
- Are accepting of any limitations, as discussed with the surgeon.
- Have realistic expectations about the outcome
Before surgery, a complete medical history is taken and a physical examination is conducted in order to evaluate the body’s condition. During the consultation, Dr. Byrd or Dr. McCluskey describes the procedure and what results should be expected. Alternative treatment options, the possible risks and complications that may occur will be explained. Photographs are taken before and after surgery.
It is recommended that patients adhere to standard pre-op guidelines to allow for patient safety and maximum post-op results as follows:
- Eat a healthy diet rich in nutrients.
- DO NOT smoke for 2 weeks prior to the procedure.
- DO NOT take pain medication containing aspirin or ibuprofen for 2 weeks prior to your procedure.
- DO NOT take Vitamin E for at least 3-4 weeks before surgery.
- Provide Dr. Byrd with a list of any medications that are taken regularly.
- DO NOT eat or drink after midnight the night before the procedure.
- DO take medication with a small sip of water that morning.
- DO NOT shave or remove hair near the regions to be sculpted the day of surgery to prevent ingrown hairs.
- DO wear loose fitted clothing that opens in the front or pulls over easily to allow for pressure garments and dressings.
- Patients must have a friend or relative drive them to and form the procedure.
About the Procedure
Liposuction is designed to be performed as an outpatient procedure using local anesthesia. Pain will be minimal, although you may feel pressure, movement, or a vibrating sensation. During the procedure, Dr. Byrd or Dr. McCluskey will make a tiny incision in the skin, typically near the elbow or in the armpit crease, and inserts a thin tube called a cannula into the fatty area. The cannula is used to break up the fat deposits and sculpt the area to the desired proportions. Unwanted fat is suctioned out with a high pressure vacuum, leaving the skin, muscles, nerves, and blood vessels intact. Generally, the procedure takes from one to two hours. This may vary if you are undergoing other procedures at the same time.
Aftercare and Recovery
Your arms may be stiff and sore for a few days, feeling like you have over-exercised. Swelling and brusing typically diminishes within 7-10 days. Our staff will fit you with a compression garment, which will help to reduce swelling and conform your body to its new contours as it heals. This garment is worn for about 4-6 weeks. Most patients find they are able to return to work and other daily activities about one week after having surgery.
Liposuction uses local anesthesia and is a remarkably safe procedure with few significant side effects. Infrequent minor complications such as skin irregularity, lumpiness, dimpling, loose skin, numbness, infections, and objectionable scarring (rare) may occur and are usually easily corrected.
Dr. Marcia Byrd and Dr. Paul McCluskey care for patients throughout the United States and Canada. Locally, they service the North Atlanta, GA area including Roswell GA, Alpharetta GA, Milton GA, Woodstock GA, Canton GA, Dunwoody GA, Sandy Springs, GA and more. If you would like to make an appointment to discuss Arm Liposuction, call (770) 587-1711 and schedule a consultation. Be the best you can be and live a full life – there is no reason to wait!